What is the best m43 for focus tracking?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662
Like?
Re: Question should be "what is the least worst"
In reply to Chris R-UK, Apr 1, 2013

Chris R-UK wrote:

Mirrorless cameras, with the exception of the Nikon 1 series, are poor compared with DSLRs at tracking moving subjects.  If the subject is small and fast moving like birds in flight mirrorless cameras are very poor.

Most bird photographers in this forum use single shot focusing for birds in flight because continuous focusing is effectively useless.  Single shot focusing can actually give quite good results although the hit rate is lower than with a DSLR and in my experience it is very difficult to get shots that require perfect timing, e.g. a diving bird hitting the water.

I think that the responses so far indicate that no M4/3 camera has yet solved this problem.

If you want to shoot relatively large and slower moving subjects M4/3 focus tracking may be OK but for faster/smaller subjects just accept that you will probably have to use single shot focusing.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

I have had the same question as the OP's and am always confused by the answers. Oly claims they have the fastest AF in the world? What are they comparing it too, just other m4/3's? Everyone's like, "well it's fast, just not as fast as a dslr." Well how is that fast then?

And what are they focusing on when making this statement, sleeping turtles sunning themselves? I don't live anywhere that I can walk into a store and test any m4/3 so it becomes hard to sift thru the forums to get a real read on what it can do. I need to shoot moving toddlers, and even have trouble with dslr's  many times. So what's the real deal from a tech point of view, not a 'method' point of view.

Where does the gh3 or OM-D rank in AF speed and tracking of ERRATIC AND QUICK moving objects when compared to all cameras on the market? Also, where does it compare using live view and not a viewfinder? Most dslr's seam to lag at this. Anyone tried a recently released dslr live view or something similar vs. m4/3? I'd think you'd start to be comparable here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow