Why a different NEF for each new model?

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Re: This should concern everyone
In reply to Dan Desjardins, Apr 1, 2013

Dan Desjardins wrote:

I agree that Raw should be Raw - and that as new sensors come out there may be new information that is produced and the raw data elements can change, but...

Looking 10 20, even 50 years down the road I see a problem with the panoply of raw formats.  Some will likely become seriously compromised - especially for the consumer side.

I wish there were broader support for DNG (Adobe's Digital Negative) format - which is presented as a universal raw format.    I haven't studied it, am I'm also sure it may "compromise" certain elements, but it does maintain the broader exposure ranges and presents the white balance in a non-proprietary and open structure.    My guess is that many of us - especially those more on the consumer and prosumer side of things would gravitate toward this format if it were available direct from the cameras.

Des

When you standardize, you lose the ability to ADD parameters (information) that the new sensor may be capable of supplying

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow