qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: please don't twist my photos
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, Apr 1, 2013

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

MAC wrote:

crop doesn't have a penalty.

If no crop penality, why not 2.0x crop or 1" crop or 1/1.7" crop?  they are even smaller and lighter.  We all should give up FF, LOL.

only those looking at websites that send the crop sensor backwards have the wrong impression that crop has a penalty

How you use 85L to shoot a half body on your 60D/T4i, you have to move backward, right? Otherwise you will get a shoulder above photo. Bingo that answers your question.

All those sites usually have one big chart only. The move the crop camera backwards only if they use the same but not equivalent FL. And they do not, if they use equivalent FL. Since the discussion started by the OP is for equivalent FL, then they do not move anything, and their data is relevant. It all depends on the lenses used; and even if you use the same zoom, it may perform differently at different FL. So the sensible thing would be to look at a variety of comparisons at equivalent FL's and equivalent F-stops (here, MAC is right). There is no real need (but it would be interesting anyway)  to choose ISO 250 on FF since in many situations, you can afford the lower SS. When you cannot, the 5D will take some hit since its QE is considerably lower than the 60D, and there will be more apparent noise.

Shooting at eq DOF makes no sense as I explained in real world photos. Under good light, you can stop down and you can stop down more with FF body before showing up obvious diffraction. Under low light I can shoot at the same aperture but get shallower DOF with the main subject in focus that many times result more attractive look photos.  OOF areas in edges are not the same as softness and many times result attractive looking of background blur rendering.  It's simply subjective deeper or shallower DOF is better or not. For those prefer deeper DOF, they should choose mFT, 1" or 1/1.7" P&S that photos from those cameras look all in focus but nothing popup.   I am the one prefer shallower DOF. For remote subjects such as landscape even F2.8 on FF has sufficient DOF. Many new Canon lenses such as 24-70L II, 70-200L II and 40/2.8 pancake etc are still pretty sharp from edge to edge even at F2.8 wide open.

BTW, all those sites measure a fixed MTF, like MTF-20, MTF-50. It is just one of the many metrics for ... call it whatever you want.

This thread is getting very colorful, since nobody bothers to cleanup the previous replies!

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow