Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,012
Like?
Re: Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina
In reply to ottonis, Apr 1, 2013

ottonis wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

I'm not sure why the OP when posting to show how good the kit lens is didn't bother to use distortion correction as the image shown was definitely faulty ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Very simple reason: he wanted to show the "raw" lens performance as it is - totally untouched. That's exactly how it needs to be done when comparing different lenses. The OP did a terrific job at presenting pics from different lenses, although I only partially agree with his interpretation of the results.

I don't agree. All raw images have some sharpening applied to them (and the amount varies from mker to maker and probably isn't even consistent between models from the same manufacturer) . The only way to really compare them is to see what can be obtained from them because the original playing field isn't level. Further, an increasing number of lenses are designed knowing that their results will be adjusted with in camera correction. In these cases (and the Sony 16-50 is one) the shots should be evaluated according to the corrected output. i
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow