Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ralph46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
Re: Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina
In reply to Mel Snyder, Apr 1, 2013

I have wondered about the very contradictung opinions about this lens since getting it 4 months ago and changing from Canon to this forum. After 40 years of Canon FD and EF(-S) lenses I was by no means disapointed by the 16-50PZ. Heck, it starts at 16mm (=24mm equiv.) and is a zoom. Do many people here remember how even expensive 24mm primes for FF performed a few years ago? No distortion and perfect corner sharpness? No!! - forget it. The corrected 16-50PZ image does fine at 16mm compared to even more expensive zooms. Perhaps my copy is better than a lot of others out there. I know QC is a weak point with just about all manufacturers these days.

The electronic operation and the required optical correction may cause discomfort for some of the more traditional minded users. The 16-50PZ is unlikely to be the lens to last a lifetime. But look at the size and the price (and the performance), and you should realize that those days are over (same as for many other appliances).

At 18mm FL and above it is even better and a remains a very good kit lens indeed. Don't forget that 16mm gives you photos that 18mm can't do. So when you compare it with the 18-55mm kit, please start at 18mm.

I have sold my Canon gear, so I can't give a direct comparison with that. But I am posting 3 images. The first is at 16mm and f/8 (slight corner falloff, could easily be sharpened in PP), the 2nd is at 25mm and f/5.6 (corners look great to me), and the 3rd is worst case at 16mm and 3.5 (still not terrible, but the content is harder to judge).

Ralph

Ralph46's gear list:Ralph46's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow