Canon 7D focus issue-new observation

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
rndman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 7D focus issue-new observation
In reply to GrantD, Apr 1, 2013

GrantD wrote:

I've had a 7d for more than 3 years now. Most of the time I've been very happy with the focus, huge improvement over my old 40d. I use it a lot with a 100-400 lens for bird photography, using centre point expanded for BIF and spot for when they are still. Mid last year I unexpectedly had some big problems, lots of out of focus images for no obvious reason - using same shutter speed etc as usual. The only thing I could put it down to was that I was experimenting using other than spot focus for stationary subjects. I haven't taken a lot of bird photos for quite a while now, but the ones I have taken, with spot focus, are back to being good again. An intermittent problem, or a problem with focus modes?

So you are saying you use "spot focus" for birding and not "single shot" or "expanded".

I have seen people recommending "expanded" preferably with center point.

Yes, I know that "spot" focus yields better results as it is precise, but then it would be hard to focus using "spot" on the fast moving subject like bird.

And if you read OP, he is not talking about focus. He is mentioning what he sees in LV and trying to find if that has an effect on his misfocused shots.

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow