Started Mar 31, 2013 | User reviews thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,258Gear list
Like?
Re: The compact camera that makes you forget you DSLR
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 1, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

jafary wrote:

Like someone already said it, no camera is perfect, and following your logic, nothing deserves a 5-star rating then. But i think differently. If  a camera fulfills what I expect to do with it, and I like the results, then it deserves the maximum rating, even if I still notice few weaknesses.

So the F3, 3n, 5n, 5r, and 6 should all have the same 5 stars, right?

Or 4.8?  What number of stars do you think they all should get?

Same lenses, same sensor, so the results are the same.

The cameras aren't the same.  If the 5R focuses better, then perhaps it should get a higher score than the F3, for example.

Your expectations would be different for each camera, as you know they have different features, so that negates any differences causing you to delete any star as you say, "the camera fulfills what you expect it to".  The logic for your rating system doesn't seem very useful to me.

Well, most "star" rating systems are flawed like this.  It's still someone's personal opinion of how much they like something.  Sure, they might also like something else just as much which would also get 5 stars.  Not sure why you seem worked up over it.  It wasn't  presented as a real scientific analysis.

I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it. Of course I don't pretend it's the best camera in its category, but still among the best that all deserves 5 stars.

So your reasoning really comes down to "I own it, therefore it is great".  That what this sentence says , doesn't it? "I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it."

Since all cameras have limitations of one sort or another, is nothing worth 5 stars?  Or is nothing satisfying?

Of course, mere satisfaction is not evidence of a camera being "the best", but hopefully, each owner can be happy with what he has, or at least learn to work within the limitations.

For me, shopping for a camera ends up trying to find the compromises that bother me the least, for a given price range.  If a camera has compromises that don't bother me, then that's a win.  I've yet to see the perfect camera.  I see very expensive cameras that I'd never want due to price and size, but that doesn't mean that they aren't perfect for someone else.

Sorry, I'm going to have to think differently as well.

Me too.  I'm going for medium format.  

Thank you
Russell

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow