Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,022Gear list
Like?
Re: Revised/corrected post: Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina
In reply to Jefenator, Apr 1, 2013

Jefenator wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

I think I'd rather work with a prime or larger zoom and get my wide angle with less distortion.

I wonder how well these lenses render in the corners at f/5.6 or f/8?

They work much better at smaller apertures. But I think the real issue is the difficulty of manually focusing a superwide on the NEX.

That cause me to consider, "Why did I buy the NEX in the first place?" Answer: to tap into my collection of great legacy glass - 3 Leica lenses (35, 50 and 90mm) and 2 Canon FD lenses, a 24mm f2 and a 85mm f1.2L - all very easy to focus manually.

Result: I will carry my D7000 with the 11-16 in my bag, and the NEX with the 35mm f1.4 in my hand. In places where I expect to be faced with varying challenges, like in a market, I will put the 16-50 zoom on the NEX, and my 18-200 on my D7000. In dark areas, like a cathedral, I will put the 90mm f2.8 on the NEX, for detail, and use the D7000 with the 11-16 for my sweeping interior shots.

The NEX is a wonderful camera, and I can see how those who don't have an inventory of choices to start with will want to build their system around it. However, I must have DSLRs for my business medical videos, and the lenses I must use in that work.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow