Is Full frame still the most versatile?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,514
Like?
Re: Is Full frame still the most versatile?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Apr 1, 2013

GodSpeaks wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

The depth of field argument is a bit over rated to me...dof is still  shallow enough for me with fast lenses even on the little Q.  On FF in many cases it is too shallow wide open.

Again I can understand someone not being interesting in shallow DOF themselves but it seems a bit dishoniest to claim that nobody needs it.

Reads to me like he qualified his opinion appropriately. I think you might be reading a bit too much into that post.

He was responding to a more generalised question though, not "do you need what FF offers", claiming that something is "over rated" does seem to go beyond personal needs aswell.

"The depth of field argument is a bit over rated

>>>to me<<<

...dof is still  shallow enough

>>>for me<<<

with fast lenses even on the little Q.  On FF in

>>>many<<<

cases it is too shallow wide open." - Neil Holmes.

In that context "to me" is qualifying the statement as his opinion not just as for his own use.

DoF IS Over Rated.  That is not to say that some people cannot use it effectively, in some instances.  But many times one prefers a deeper DoF to an extremely narrow one.

Do you own fast (f1.4) lenses?  Out of all your DAYLIGHT pictures, what percentage do you take at f1.4?

Personally, except for low light photography, I would never choose to shoot wide open.

What you do, however, is entirely up to you.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

Were not looking at the choice of one or the other though are we? shooting full frame you can have either, shooting on a smaller format your more limated in your ability to use shallow DOF.

Of course its perfectly legitimate to claim you personally don't need something but I think its clear that FF does offer more potential versitility.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow