Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photophile
Forum ProPosts: 12,893Gear list
Like?
Cost of repair E-500 sensor
Apr 1, 2013

You may recall a sensor fault developed on my E500 almost 2 years a go now. A thin vertical blue line a quarter of the way into the frame from the right hand side. The line is only really visible at ISO 800 and obtrusive at ISO 1600.  At lower settings it doesn´t show. Anyway, my in-laws live close to the Olympus service facility in Portugal (Coimbra). I popped in there briefly this morning with my father-in-law (Easter Mondays are not a bank holiday in Portugal). The staff were very kind to us - and understood the problem well. Cost of repair though: 174 Euros (approx 223 USD or 147 UK pounds). They wouldn´t budge on the price. So I said I´d think about it. Bear in mind that a used (good condition) E500 on Amazon is around 175 UK pounds.

I personally don´t think the repair is worth the cost - as much as I like the camera.  For one thing - I can still use it up to ISO-400 - so for day time shooting, its not a problem. Secondly, I have my E-510 in case I ever need to use higher sensitivity.  On top of all that, if I use the scratch removal tool in PSPX2, I can actually get rid of the blue line fairly well.

Anyone still think its worth getting the repair done ??

-- hide signature --

AH

photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus Stylus 840 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-500 Olympus E-510 +5 more
Olympus E-5 Pentax Optio E50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow