Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
schmegg
Senior MemberPosts: 5,009
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 1, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

apaflo wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

What puzzles me (actually, I am completely mystified) is why people seem incapable of associating exposing to the right with the consequent loss of film speed  (using an effectively lower ISO). I have had long ping-pong type exchanges in these forums with posters who just could NOT accept that THAT was what was happened. Quoting the actual shutter speeds and apertures USED at them just didn't help, because they didn't associate THOSE with any particular ISOs, either, it seems.

Why is that, do you think?

Because what you just said doesn't make any sense at all???

Explain why you say that Apaflo. A criticism is no use without an explanation of exactly what you mean.

The reason I bought in was because this statement ...

"people seem incapable of associating exposing to the right with the consequent loss of film speed  (using an effectively lower ISO)."

That clearly does not make a whole lot of sense. And it took me a while to even work out why he made this statement.

I think what is being claimed is that an exposure adjustment must be made to expose the sensor for longer - and in this one way only it's analogous (perhaps) to shooting with a lower ISO. But in every other respect, unless the ISO setting is used to vary the exposure shift, then the ISO setting is irrelevant to ETTR. So the claim above is largely irrelevant and seems to just introduce unnecessary confusion to the topic IMHO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow