rtf
rtf
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: Simon
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 1, 2013

Hi Simon. Thanks for your reply.

E-M5 (sorry, my mistake!)

"Just a word of caution, the HLD-6 grip that Olympus sell is great if you have medium to small hands, not so great if you have medium to large hands"

I've always been teased about my small hands so hopefully the grip will suit me.

"The 35-100 is lighter than the Olympus 75 but is longer. The 75 is OK on the E-M5 (it feels balanced) whereas the 35-100 does not".

I like the idea of the 35-100 but I am not prepared to compromise handling. I will not have a requirement for anything other than a good portrait, wide-angle, and macro lens, so hopefully we are talking about lenses that will give me no issues with regard to size and weight.

"Ergonomics/Controls: That experience led me to the Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras and ultimately to the GH3, which is considerably more ergonomic. I'm now firmly of the opinion that the E-M5 is great with the smaller primes but less good with some of the larger lenses in my system".

As I say, I will/should not require any of the larger lenses.

"Tracking/Autofocus: It's probably also worth me noting that AF tracking IS usable on the GH3 (whereas I don't think it is on the E-M5)".

I used to be really into sports work and such, but I really got fed up of trashing my gear and not really getting any reward for it, so I leave that to others now. As long as the S-AF is good I will be fine.

Lenses:

I think I would get away with the 12mm f2, 45mm f1.8, 60mm f2.8 macro, and would seriously consider the 75mm f1.8 if I could handle it okay.

"My conclusions? If you can, try out both bodies in person before taking the plunge. If you are set on the E-M5 it is a nice camera (the same could equally be said of the GH3) but some people seem to have an affinity for one and not the other after using both... Don't confine yourself to one brand of lenses, whichever camera you get".

I should be able to give the Panasonic a try beside the Olympus. E-M5 will be/is my first choice without actually physically testing them side by side, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Simon - thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Your help is really appreciated.

Cheers

RTF

rtf's gear list:rtf's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow