Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
rtf
rtf
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: Russell
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 1, 2013

Hi Russell. Than you so much for your comprehensive reply. Ever since the K5 came out I've kept an eye on Pentax DSLR's. They are excellent cameras and as you have shown their primes are very small, and of a high quality. I especially have a soft spot for the K30. I love it's functional but quirky design, and I never thought that I would ever like a DSLR that was blue or white. At one point I actually said to my wife that I would love a black, blue, and white K30, and I was being serious.

However my worry is that I have a problem not just with the physical size and weight of the lenses, but also the physical dimensions + weight of the camera body. I apologise for my very unclear description of my ailment but I now have very little muscle in the palm of my left hand. I basically have 3 holes at the end of my palm just where my fingers start. How's that for a medical description!. I struggle with a D7000's physical dimensions (not just weight) so I would assume anything Pentax would be similar. As far as getting small Nikon lenses goes, I can at a push use the Nikon 50mm on my D800 for a very limited period of time without too much discomfort, but I don't have accurate control of the cameras handling. As for the 105 DC, well it's a wonderful lens that's being wasted.

I thought about tripod or monopod (of which I have both), but in all honesty my subjects normally don't suit the camera being static.

I will be visiting my camera dealer tomorrow and I will try every camera/lens combo that I can get my hands on, (you never know). But I have to say, it would appear that all things considered the O-MD will be the one that I should go for.

With regard to DXO sensor ratings: I would be lying if I was to say that I did not care as to where my particular camera sensor came in their ratings list, but I've also found that in the real world customers can turn the whole thing into a joke. I took a portrait of a 3 year old, everything exposed correctly, everything as it should be. The parents requested that I overexpose so that all detail was lost apart from a basic outline. (Something that could have been done with a point and shoot + a free software program from the Internet! For that they paid me professional rates!

Your advice was really appreciated. A big thank you for your time.

RTF

rtf's gear list:rtf's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow