Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 1, 2013

JulesJ wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Jules,

1) If there is NO free space to the right of the histogram into which ETTR can take place, it is still perfectly possible to increase the signal to noise ratio. It is done by simply exposing at a lower ISO....

-(and, incidentally, doesn't need any messing about afterwards in post processing)-

2) Indeed, the process of ETTR is, itself, only ever "exposing at a lower ISO," even when there IS free space to the right into which the histogram silhouette can be shifted, since the ONLY way to shift that histogram is to use a longer shutter speed or wider aperture...(lower effective ISO)

3) Because of this, photography might as well ALWAYS be done at the lowest (practical) ISO, and this be used as a routine mechanism for reducing image noise....(the stated aim of ETTR)...

-(BTW, it IS what I do, as a matter of course and without having to think about it)-

4)... and nobody need bother themselves with this "Exposing to the Right" nonsense ever again!

I absolutely agree, in fact David Ward also taught us to shoot at native ISO (usually 100) whenever possible. But still doing that Shhoting to the Right might still be possible depending on the circumstances and use of f stop and shutter speed. It's not rocket science. It had just been obvious to me until it was brought to my attention. I don't do it religiously now, but I do keep it in mind.

What puzzles me (actually, I am completely mystified) is why people seem incapable of associating exposing to the right with the consequent loss of film speed  (using an effectively lower ISO). I have had long ping-pong type exchanges in these forums with posters who just could NOT accept that THAT was what was happened. Quoting the actual shutter speeds and apertures USED at them just didn't help, because they didn't associate THOSE with any particular ISOs, either, it seems.

Why is that, do you think?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
=
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow