New 100-400 in a few months?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
Re: Just curious
In reply to birdbrain, Apr 1, 2013

birdbrain wrote:

I would love an upgraded 100-400 with tha latest version of the IS perhaps even Mode 3. Even if the optical performance wasn't that much better the improvement in IS would be the thing I want.

Panning prop planes at 1/250 or even slower shutter speeds you need all the help you can get. So I would definitely buy one.

Mode 3 is definitely THE most attractive single offering of the new II tele lenses to date beside the optical performance. I use it now exclusively and I can see this function as a welcome addition to new lens designs at Canon. I guess it is going to be implemented in all premium lenses from Canon with IS.

Would also be a huge differentiating factor from other lenses that don't have this. It is so much easier to track objects and don't get confused with the wobbling IS affected view and you still get the IS when you need it.

And the mode 3 would definitely be a USP for me - if I had a 100-400 and a new version would get it it would easily convince me to spend a few bucks and get the new one - beside that a new 100-400 would surely get a better optical performance that would justify the extra investment.

Probably more interesting then a 120-300 sport that probably takes extenders not that good (as the current one is very slow and operatically not that good ) and it is probably double the weight.

That said a 100-400 with improved optical design on the level of the 70-200 f/4.0 would be a very welcome addition to the Canon line up - the more I think of it the more I get attracted by the idea as a lightweight travel lens with real more reach.

I don't use my 70-200 that much any more since I have my 300 f/2.8 simply because the 300 is better in every single point and it works so much more predictable.

I do not need the 70 mm anyhow but neither the current 100-400 nor the 70-300 L meets my optical demands - so an optically excellent 100-400 II would be a welcome addition indeed - if it is on the optical level as the 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow