I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342
Like?
Re: instant gratification is not good
In reply to RedFox88, Apr 1, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Instant gratification is not a good thing.

Plenty of times it's great and the most desirable thing for learning.

Making photography accessible to the masses is a good thing, and so is learning photography on a digital camera.

It's far better to see the results instantly and learn there and then (if that is your goal), rather than wait for processing and then try to re-trace your steps. It's also great to learn from the EXIF metadata. I wouldn't even be taking photos if it wasn't for digital, let alone enjoying it and learning from it so quickly (and without wallet-rape).

We wouldn't even be seeing many of the images and videos we see now without cameraphones. The list goes on and on.

In fact I call this era, and the generation in school and college the Instant Gratification generation/era.  It leads people to put in less effort to work for goals, instead they use instant gratification to get what they want.

Remote controls makes people lazier to go and walk up to the TV to change channels and ready-made clothes and shoes make people lazier to make or mend their own...

We still had instant gratification with Polaroids, and I still don't want those expensive days returning; the cost was prohibitive and discouraged learning and fun, just as it is with regular film, in my opinion.

It leads to buying things that aren't needed (like every new iphone and digital cameras for instance).

Instant gratification doesn't lead to people buying things that aren't needed; that has always existed. We are encouraged to consume, dispose, consume, dispose. Whether that's a tape recorder or a CD player or a clothes line or pots & pans.

With the amount of convergence and rapid changes going on in phones and computers, it doesn't surprise me to see people wanting the latest; only where tech is relatively stagnant is there a need to stick with what you have because rapid changes aren't being made. And even then the marketing industry will do its best to convince you to upgrade, or put your life online.

You'll always get people that take the bait. In other words, I don't think the world has changed as much as you might think. We have been encouraged to consume, consume, consume, and it doesn't mean we have to just because of better technology, or that instant gratification necessarily leads us there.

It also leads to shorter attention spans which the world seems to  have now.  One bad thing is it has kids thinking they can "multi task" while studying which humans cannot multitask.  They text friends, chat on facebook, watch youtube videos instead of studying but they think they are studying and multitasking.  20 years ago you had to be on the phone with a friend in order to communicate.

You also had to pay more to do it. And you still had video games and VCRs to distract you, and many other things.

So it was a whole lot easier to actually study then, and parents knew when you were on the phone by just picking up the phone, now they let their kids have their own cell phones, their own private line.  Unbeliveable!

Good and bad points to any technology or product or service out there.

Parents want to know their kids are safe sometimes too. The technology is there and it's being used. There are many things you are ignoring that are beneficial with 'instant gratification', and not just beneficial, essential.

Like emergencies. Like sending a happy snap off to your mum who is worried whether you are eating well, or jumping on the webcam and talking. All are so easily and cheaply done today. There will always be 'distractions' from study or whatever, but so many benefits too.

Then there's the ugly side with companies such as Google and Apple and Microsoft and Blackberry tracking everything you do, and countless third parties doing it too.

But are you really wanting a return to the film days and all the hassles and waste of money that entails (including posting physical glossy photos to others who want them long after the fact?). I am amazed that I can go into the local discount store and pick up a perfectly decent digital camera for less than $100 with 'film' that holds thousands of photos and images that are perfectly serviceable and I can basically send an image around the world seconds after it's taken and a small group or a thousand or many thousands can see it.

Whether I want to learn from it or just use it in my life as a tool is irrelevant; the technology is wonderful and many wouldn't even be taking photos without digital technology because the cost of film and processing is too expensive, so themoments of their lives that will never return could never get captured.

Are you still using film daily? I bet you aren't. The benefits with digital are too great and your argument goes off into other areas such as "kids these days" rather than focusing on the technology itself and the many benefits it has brought to millions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow