Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: Olympus PEN 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 £329.99 at Jessops
In reply to tt321, Apr 1, 2013

tt321 wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

I lived in the UK (split my time between Leicester and London) for about half a year in 2011. I honestly don't know how you guys can put up with these prices. It's insane. I was so glad I bought everything I need in the US so that I wouldn't have to pay those insane prices. Not to mention 20% VAT is more than double of what most states charges over here for the sales tax.

So long as it is not worth the trouble to go on a trip across the ocean just to shop for photo gear, paying this kind prices is the only choice The prices quoted already contain the VAT so it's a slightly less painful sting.

Sometimes it's possible to get a reasonable deal on occasion, the 45/1.8 is being sold for not too much over 200 pounds at the moment, for instance. When I bought a PL25 I paid almost exactly the same as the b&h advertised price, given that Panasonic gave me a cashback and at the time, there was no such cashback in the US. So technically I paid less than if I would by walking into b&h on that day, given the sales tax not included in the b&h web price.

Interestingly, in spite of charging these high prices, electronics and computer retailing is a very dangerous business to be in and companies are closing left and right. I think we are just a less efficient market.

Of course it doesn't make sense for you to travel to the US just to shop. You have to factor the airfare into the equation!

You know, I have yet to have seen a camera shop anywhere in the UK that is as busy as B&H or Adorama. I've been inside Jessops and Jacobs. They always seem to be empty or have less traffic than I had anticipated. Let's use Jessops as an example. I've been to the shop near Trafalgar Square a dozen times when I was living in London (lived near Lambeth North Station). Given the location of that shop, I figure there should have been tons of traffic. Even at a busy time of the day, it wasn't jam packed. I'm not sure what it is, but if Jessops can't succeed with a store at that location, then they're destined to fail.

Don't get me wrong, I love Europe (travelled quite a bit to that continent), but I don't envy the high taxes that seems to be the norm in that continent.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow