Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
mark dimo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...
In reply to jm_mac, Apr 1, 2013

jm_mac wrote:

Great post and blog, Mark!  I love hearing about your adventures in the surfing world and beyond.  I have a question - you have found that the K5II has much better AF than the K5.  Did your K5 have the latest firmware?  I have heard from a couple of folks here on the forum that the latest K5 firmware is better with respect to AF.

The joy of the K5II is that AF is more accurate in those backlit poorly contrasted scenarios that might make the original K5 and before get fooled into front or back focusing.

The very first thing I observed about the II/IIs is that it was able to lock focus during sceanrios where my past bodies might get fooled into spinning the AF barrel from close to infinity and back.  With the new II, it is a quick and dead accurate lock.

The AF-C is greatly improved as well.  I mentioned in the blog that it wasnt as accurate as the Mark IV, but that in no way relegates it to the bottom of the barrel.  I wouldnt imagine it any worse than the 7d, D7000 or D300s from those respective competitors,  which translates to this...  Cameras  within the class or price range of the II/IIs have a hard time competing with the benefits the new II offers.

Now if you measure it against a Mark III or beyond,  the marginal gain in performance by those monstrous bodies isn't as easily justified when you consider the Mark series cams are 4-5X the base price of the K5II. Hence,  a set of K5II's with pro caliber DA*'s can keep up with the efficiency and performance of any competitors best considering its durabiliity and weather sealing.  We all know the mind blowing High ISO performance the K5 possesses so need to keep reinforcing that facet.

Happy shooting.  you can follow my new football blog here: www.phootballworld.wordpress.com

It will showcase alot of lowlight photography and really pushing the K5II to its limits.

-- hide signature --

Managing Director Alon Philippines Surf & Travel
www.alonphilippines.com
Photographer / Features Writer for Lonely Planet Magazine, Digital Photographer & Mabuhay Magazine
Life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!

mark dimo's gear list:mark dimo's gear list
Pentax K-3 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow