New 100-400 in a few months?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?
Re: Just curious
In reply to Colin Smith1, Apr 1, 2013

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Sorry about that I was off in wonderland.  The current offering is 4.5 to 5.6. not usable with a 1.4 Converter.  If they go to a F4 to F5.6 I am hoping the teleconverter will work with full autofocus, at least with my 5D III with the promised upgrade in software.  My current 100-400 does a great job with focusing and sharpness with no converter.  We will have to see what the promised upgrade will offer.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Maybe if Canon get their head from where the sun doesn't shine and not make the same mistake as with the 1DX and 5DmkIII, we will see a new 7D with AF at f/8 from day one. But it appears to me that Canon are very reluctant to allow people to use TC's unless it's with one of their expensive tele primes. It wouldn't surprise me if a new 100-400L would include the same thing they did with the 70-300L, making it unsuitable for use with a TC.

That is, if they update the 100-400L, which I don't know if they will. There is the 70-300L and (in theory) the 200-400L, just how much do they need to improve the 100-400L to make it sit nicely between those two and offer a reasonable upgrade to current 100-400L owners?

I for one will not quickly upgrade because I love my 100-400L and feel little reason to invest a lot extra for some AF improvements and new IS. I would much rather see a new 400/5.6L to compliment my 100-400L.

ps. Hope you get the firmware upgrade soon! That should make the 5DmkIII even more versatile.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow