Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aussie Coop
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Re: mike... my thoughts
In reply to miked58, Apr 1, 2013

miked58 wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

My guess is that the buyer has buyer's remorse, and has changed his mind and wants his money back.

Odds are there is nothing wrong with this lens. It is virtually impossible to inject a lot of dust into a clean lens in three weeks time. He has just made up this excuse to intimidate you into a refund. And that's why he is making legal threats. If he takes legal action then both of you lose, and the two lawyers win. And he probably knows this.

From the picture you took it appears that the lens was in mint condition. I doubt very much that there is a dust problem with it.

That lens may have a list price of $2700, but Amazon is currently selling them brand new for $1549 in the USA, so he might feel like he paid too much for the lens.

Here's the problem for you. If this auction was on ebay, then he will probably get his money back. Ebay changed their rules a few years ago to give the advantage to the buyer. He will file a paypal claim, and then you get to reply. Ebay will not inspect the lens or do any testing. They will simply issue a refund to the buyer and charge your account for the money.

I suggest you offer the buyer a refund after he returns the lens in the same condition as he received it, with shipping at his expense. If the lens is in the same condition it was when you shipped it, then refund his money and sell it to someone else. But next time sell it through craigslist or some other method that permits face to face contact and inspections.

Had you sold your lens right here on the Dpreview For Sale Forum, you probably wouldn't have this problem. It is just unfortunate that ebay bends over backwards to accommodate the buyers.

Hi Marty

The lens was sold on a local auction site and I have already contacted them. They will not get involved. The price quoted was not US Dollars so they paid about $1000 US equivalent. It was less than any other copy on the auction site.

-- hide signature --

Canon 650D, Canon 600D, Oly E-pm1, EFS 15-85mm IS, efs 10-22mm, 24-70L, 100-400L, 24-105L, EFS 18-135 STM, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, EFS 55-250mm IS, 580EX, Hensel and Elinchrom studio lights, Canon Ixus 80IS

The lens looks in extremely good condition from the photo. You've offered more than enough to resolve the issue and he has offered nothing. From everything you've written I would be inclined just to tell him you will not be issuing a refund as the lens was described acurately in the auction and despatched to him (x) weeks ago in that exact condition. If he wants to take the matter further then you will happily deal with his solicitor but if he does not refrain from contacting you in this threatening manner you will be contacting the Police and issuing a restraining order for harrassment. End of story.  The ball is back in his court and just leave it at that, offering any more will only be playing into his game. But I doubt you'll hear from him again once you mention Police involvment and your willingness to deal with a solicitor.

Aussie Coop's gear list:Aussie Coop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow