In love with the FZ200 right out of the box

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,884Gear list
Like?
Re: In love with the FZ200 right out of the box
In reply to Ruth Lipnick, Apr 1, 2013

Hi Ruth, Good to see you finally took the plunge and got the FZ200. Despite what you think, I thought your image was excellent, even at 100% it looked pretty good. You have to remember that it is a small sensor and blowing up the images too much will reveal its heritage. My rule of thumb is that if the image looks good at full screen on my 15" laptop, then I'm a happy camper. Whenever I blow up the image its never all that great. The fact that you are coming from a DSLR, may cause you some anguish in this area, but I have had very few images that look good magnified up to 100%. I can also see the difference between my camera and others in a bird photography group I belong to. At a smaller size, my images look as good as theirs, but once we start blowing them up, mine fall away in quality, whereas theirs still look pretty good. All this means in practical terms is that you can't re-produce as bigger prints off your shots as you can from a bigger sensor, but bearing in mind that most people either never print their images, or only print up to a A3 size, then you won't see any significant difference. Of course, there are other advantages of having a bigger sensor, but there are also advantages of having such a small package as the FZ200, that makes it worth using and using a lot. As you become more familiar with the camera, you'll find you can get better with its operation and use it to full advantage. There are lots of thoughts here on what settings are the best. Most seem to settle on Noise Reduction -2 and Sharpness -1. I have tried those and found that for birding, that the feathers seem a bit blurred to me. You may find different and I advise you to try those settings and see, but I tend to use NR-1 and Sharpness +1. There does seem to be some differences between individual cameras and may be the reason I can't reproduce the results that others are getting using the -2 -1 setting. Only testing by you will determine what's best, however those settings offer you a starting point.

To get a larger or smaller focus square, have the camera set to autofocus, push the one touch focus button on the lens barrel and the focus square will turn yellow. Once that is achieved rotate the little wheel on the back top right of the camera and you can make it one size smaller, or two sizes larger. Unfortunately, every time you turn the camera off, the focus square will return to the default setting. There is no way you can get around this. Many have tried, all have failed. HA!

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you too much, as you have a bit of a learning curve ahead, but its an enjoyable one.

Regards

Rodger

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow