a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 754Gear list
Like?
Re: a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?
In reply to MikeNannie, Apr 1, 2013

MikeNannie wrote: (EMPHASIS ADDED)

Most disappointing is indoor flash photography. It's always been a struggle using my older Minolta cameras and also with my new a580. I honestly don't know if it's me, or my equipment, but I'm tired of blurry images, or blown out flash shots of family members. I've tried about everything to get better flash shots, with moderate success, but very inconsistent results.

I think about what you're saying, and what struck me most was this statement.  Upgrading gear is always going to give you a greater potential for better shots, but I think if you master this particular bugaboo (or at least get a better handle on it), you'll be happier overall.  I'm certainly not against existing light shots, there are good ones to be had.  But indoors meh lighting is still meh lighting, regardless of which camera you use.  Slow shutter speeds or high ISO is more often than not going to be the end result of a poorly lit environment, hence your blurred shots (you're moving, or people are).  There's just no substitute for good light, and flash is the go to component when nothing else will work to make that happen.

The blown out areas can be overcome by proper use of the flash.  Resolving that goes a long way to being happier with the end result, which seems to be your desired goal.  That's going to be an issue regardless of what gear you choose.  As of this moment I look at what you're shooting and you're clearly not suffering with subpar gear.  Just my 2 cents.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow