Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ysarex
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to Sovern, Apr 1, 2013

Sovern wrote:

Wow, lots of feedback in this thread. Glad to see that so many people are interested in talking about exposure and the subject of ETTR. I'm also glad to see that theres that agree with me that ETTR is not useful for everyone........

I will be posting a Youtube video tomorrow of my thoughts on ETTR and will be posting a link on here.

All the best guys.

-- hide signature --

The photographer makes the gear, not the other way around.

The overwhelming majority of posts in this thread were added here to refute your original post. You have scant agreement at best.

And now after you've been repeatedly told you're in error you're changing your tune. Now a day later you say, "ETTR isn't useful for everyone....." That's a whole lot different than what you originally posted:

"I see a lot of new photographers learning about exposure and then quickly being told that they should use a method of exposure called Exposing to the Right (or rather, ETTL). I went into depth as to why in my opinion, ETTR is bad, and especially bad for new photographers that want to develop a consistent base for their ability to get correct exposure correctly the first time around with worrying about losing highlights.

Me personally, I believe in getting the exposure/shot correct the first time in the camera and exposing properly versus to the right as many benefits as shown in the article presented below."

ETTR may not be useful to you. That's perfectly fine. Chimping your exposure from the camera LCD is one way to approach the problem. ETTR is however very useful to those of us who know how to take advantage of it and make the very best photograph that current technology permits. Glad to see that you're acknowledging that now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow