Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,032Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!
In reply to rick decker, Apr 1, 2013

rick decker wrote:

How do you decide how much to the right you expose?  Do you use each channel in the histogram?

reviewing the RGB histogram is best.  reviewing the luminance histogram or blinkies is less certain.  you may have no blinkies and the luminance histogram may look okay, but it still possible you have clipped one channel...

If you don't have a live histogram, do you review the histogram of the exposed image?

yeah.  my camera does not have a live histogram.  it does have a way for me to take a picture without the picture being written to the card.  the picture remains in the buffer for me to review.  this is simpler than having to later delete the picture.

If am not mistaken, this histogram is of the in-camera JPEG so you are trusting the JPEG processing in the camera..

you are not mistaken.  one way for the JPG-based histogram to better reflect the RAW histogram is to use Neutral (or whatever similar your camera has) color tone and reduce contrast of the JPG in custom color settings.  then, take some sample pictures.  take your camera inside and review the images on your computer and in your camera at the same time.  see what you get on your computer versus what the camera shows you.

the best way is to use uni-white balance.  this more accurate than reducing contrast in JPG settings, etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow