Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,624
Like?
About Olympus...
In reply to rtf, Apr 1, 2013

I have the OMD EM5.  I also have a D800 and D800E, and a 5D Mark III.

OMD:  Lenses I own:  14/2.5  25/1.4  45/1.8  60/2.8mac  75/1.8  100-300zoom

The Good:  very good camera, good image quality, enjoy using it.  Excellent lenses.  Relatively cheap.  Relatively light weight.  Excellent AF for static subjects (fast and accurate). ISO good up to 1600, fair at 3200.

The Bad:  AF tracking is poor (forget moving targets like sports and wildlife).  Electronic View Finder:  can't see anything unless camera is on.  Delay recovering from sleep.  Battery life:  I get 800-1000 shots per battery but turning off camera between shots; reported battery life is 300 shots/battery.  Not an easy camera for rapid adjustments, like turning off IS or adding the shutter delay, or turning off the shutter noise.  Unintuitive menus.  Too easy to change the exposure adjustment inadvertently.  Tiny buttons, not easy to push.  May be difficult with pain or weakness in hands.

I can change almost anything important on the D800 without removing my eye from the viewfinder.  Can't do that with the OMD.

Nothing is perfect.

I can recommend the OMD EM5; I like it, I use it, the images are very good.

maljo

Olympus OMD EM5 + 75 mm f1.8 at f2.8, ISO 200

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow