Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Re: Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR
In reply to hikerdoc, Apr 1, 2013

hikerdoc wrote:

From what I have read, Wimberley and RRS plates have same tolerances and will work in lever release clamps from each other. I believe RRS lever clamps will not tightly hold plates from Kirk or Markins. Kirk, Markins, and RRS screw clamps will hold any of them. Markins lever release QR clamps can be adjusted to fit any of the plates but generally are adjusted to fit a specific brand plate, not a routinely recommended field adjustment. I do not know specifically if acratech and Kirk use the same dimensional tolerances (I use Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, and Markins stuff). Kirk and RRS are very friendly and very helpful if you give them a call. I have a RRS replacement foot for the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 which attaches the same as original and is compatible with the clamp on ballhead. I think the kirk collar for the f/4 does not need an additional plate as the foot is the plate and should be Arca-Swiss compatible.

Darrell

FWIW, my RRS BH-40 worked just fine with my Kirk L-bracket.   I get the feeling that those issues are in the past, among the major players anyway...

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow