a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?
Re: a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?
In reply to MikeNannie, Apr 1, 2013

MikeNannie wrote:

My questions are for those who have made the switch to full frame.

1) I assume that I would be able to shoot indoors with higher ISO and get better images than from the a580, but how much better? Significant, or not so much? Still need a flash most of the time?

I think the answer to this depends on both the camera and the lens.  If you upgrade to the A99 and also upgrade the lens then the difference may be considerable.   I'd guess a 24-70 f2.8 (Sony, Sigma, or Tamron) paired with the A99 would make a big difference over your A580 with 16-80.   The A99 without upgrading your lenses should still be an improvement but I don't know that it will take you from needing a flash to not.

2) For landscape photography, is there that much difference between a crop sensor and a full frame sensor like the a99? Advantages?

IMO, the advantages can also be disadvantages.  If you plan to shoot with an ultra wide angle zoom on the A99 then your choices are limited (even more limited if you use filters).  The advantage is that you can get the CZ 16-35 and have the best combination...  the disadvantage is that you have to buy the CZ 16-35 .  There are more UWA choices for the A77 that won't break the bank.

Since your widest lens now appears to be 24mm FF equivalent then this may not be an issue for you.   Your 24-85 may be all that you need.

If you're happy with the lenses you have or will buy for the A77 then it is a great landscape camera.  One of the main reasons I upgraded to the A99 was to have the opportunity to use the CZ 16-35 and CZ 24 at their FF focal lengths for landscapes.

) Would I be better served buying an a77 and keeping my lenses and flash? My concern is a potential drop off in high ISO performance moving from the 16 mb a580 to the 24 mb a77 sensor.
About 40% of my reasoning for considering an upgrade is the answer to question 1 above.

I think you would be very happy with the A77 and it would work out better based on your current lenses.   To really get the most out of the A99 I think you'd need to spend some money on lenses especially if you want to go wider or want the same reach you have today with your 70-300.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow