Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,647Gear list
Like?
ETTR and Blinkies.
In reply to Sovern, Apr 1, 2013

Without reading EVERY reply here, only about half of them, all I can say is that those who attempt ETTR using the histogram are really asking for trouble.

The only way to use the camera is to use the blinkies* (Shadow/Highlight in Olympus) where on the preview the underexposed parts are blue and the overexposed parts are red. Adjust exposure Compensation until there's no red showing or the red bits are only insignificant highlight spots. With flash a few test shots are needed to see the playback blinkie result and adjust things accordingly.

Most times for non-flash scenery this will involve under-exposing to preserve detail in the clouds/sky, rarely does an image need positive exposure compensation to pull it right towards red warnings. Post process work on jpeg or RAW conversion is the way to make things look right but only with a good quality calibrated monitor.

Instant jpeg printing is another world and rarely done by anyone and involves much good luck and often blown highlights to get the final overall exposure "looking correct".

* Blinkies is a bad name because in the Oly world they don't blink in preview, they only blink in playback. Plus the preview warning is a bit conservative, as red warning areas in preview often don't appear as red blinkies in playback.

So for me the so-called ETTR the way I do it is really a matter of preserving the highlights and usually involves under-exposing to get that correct.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow