Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
Re: Compact DSLR vs. OM-D
In reply to gbhwc, Apr 1, 2013

gbhwc wrote:

COMPARING THE NIKON 5200 to the OMD

I have a D5100 and a smaller m43 camera.

Size is obviously important and the OMD wins there.

-       Low light focusing

I'm not sure that's really the case.  My m43 has the same troubles in low light that Nikon has.  The D5### series Nikons also lack AF fine tune so if you have a lens which focuses a little off, it's a bit of a pain.  The Nikon does focus a bit better on moving targets (ie, kids on a sports field).

-       Built in flash

My Panasonic has a built-in flash and I'm often carrying a SB-700 with the Nikon.  It is what it is.

-       Optical viewfinder

I used to think this was an advantage until I saw the EVFs on say a Sony A99.  Focus peaking, really seeing what your sensor is seeing and knowing what you're going to get is an advantage.  The Nikon viewfinder isn't 100% coverage.

The real "optical viewfinder" advantage is probably battery life.  That's the trade off.

-       Better feel/comfort unless I add optional power battery holder / grips which reduce the weight / size advantage.  (I wouldn’t bring these backpacking and probably not traveling).

Wouldn't bring the grips or the cameras?  I'd bring the cameras or consider getting a smaller second body (ie, E-PM1 or GF3/GF5) to having for backpacking.  That's what mine is for.

-       What else am I missing?  What do you think?

I don't think you're comparing equivalent cameras.  The OM-D's Nikon equivalent is the D7000/D7100.  Yes, that's an even bigger camera than the D5200 but it has the "un-crippled" feature set.  AF Fine Tune, Hi Speed Sync, Flash Commander, In body motor for older lenses, etc.  Feature wise, you need to go to the D7000/D7100 to get on par with the OM-D.

I'd see if you can hold out another month.  There are supposed to be two Panasonic announcements in April and one is rumored to be the G7.  Depending on the sensor there it might offer a good alternative to the OM-D.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow