Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roman Fishtein
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
D90 to D7100 upgrade quirks
Apr 1, 2013

I've traded in my trusted D90 for D7100 and overall I think this is a great upgrade. However, there are a few things I am not keen about. I wish I was aware of these before I made the decision to trade in - may be I would have kept D90 as a second body.

This is a short list of issues I've collected until now.  Pls remember the goal here is to help fellow photographers to make a more educated decision, not to bash any camera/brand/person (including myself :-)).

Here it goes

1) Auto ISO with flash. Quoting Sammy from this thread, D90 boosts flash power before boosting ISO. D7100 (just like all new cameras) does the opposite. Moreover, the moment the flash is turned on the ISO is bumped to 400 regardless of Auto ISO settings, and only goes higher from there. There is no known workaround. I very much prefer D90 behavior as much more predictable. I think I will end up just turning Auto ISO off when using flash.

2) Third party lenses do not focus in live view. My Sigma 50-150 does not. I wanted to perform AF fine tuning for this lens using dot method, but it did not work. The lens can probably be re-chipped by Sigma.

3) As mentioned by others, zoom in button has moved, and instead there is a new "i" button. Just need to get used to the new location of the magnify button, but in the meantime it is a constant source of annoyance.

Hopefully this list will help somebody. Please feel free to add your observations.

-- hide signature --

RF

Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow