I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,936Gear list
Like?
Re: Digital is cheaper than film by far. Check your cost per shot.
In reply to brianric, Mar 31, 2013

brianric wrote:

Lance B wrote:

The fact is, there are thousands of people who are heavily into photography simply because of the ease of getting superb results due to the fact it is digital and not film. They can also control the post processing wheras most would be at the mercy of the lab.

Sorry, digital is a no-brainer and much cheaper and easier than film ever was and the results are better, period.

That's what brought me back into photography was the DSLR. Shooting since the late 60ies with Nikon F1, Koni-Omegas, Mamiya C330, etc, lost interest in the 1980ies because I was at the mercy of the labs. When digital came out, I started back into photography with those small pocket cameras until Canon came out with the Digital Rebel, the first DSLR for under a grand. I will admit I've been through quite a bit of DSLRs, Digital Rebel, 20D, 30D, 5D, 1DMK2N, IDMK3, two D700, D3S, D800. Still have one D700, D3S and D800. Expensive, yes. Worth it, hands down yes for two reasons. My prior hobby was drinking myself to death. The last five years of drinking I was up to 5 cases of beer and smoked a carton of cigarettes each week. Going on 13 years of sobriety and cigarette free, and am now the volunteer event photographer for MS Delaware, American Cancer Society New Jersey, March of Dimes New Jersey, Free Masons of Pennsylvania, Special Olympics Salem New Jersey, and the sports photographer for Ambassador Christian Academy Glassboro New Jersey. I'm retired from over 38 years in nuclear power and my volunteer activities gives me something to look forward to and live for.

Yeah, digital is worth it. Ask Kodak.

Your story is very interesting and regardless of what photography costs, for you it is worth every penny due to your self destructing tendencies! It really is great that you have found a hobby that keeps you so interested and focused (sorry about the pun!) and I applaud you turning your life around.

Also, a very hearty congratulations on being 13 years without a drink or a cigarette and I thank you for sharing this with us as it really is a great success story, I take my hat off to you!!

Similar to you, I was a keen photographer back in the late 70's, early 80's shooting wiith a Pentax MA Super, but the cost of slide film was making it difficult to do as much as I wanted. Being newly married in the early 80's and then having kids etc meant that photography was on the back burner, but even when the kids were older and I had a bit more money, film was still expensive and there were all the hassles of getting it developed and you were relying on the labs post processing to get the look you were trying to achieve.

In 2004 I purchased my first Pentax DSLR, the *ist D and my love for photography was reborn. Tha fact that I could now post process my own work and print at home meant no labs, and getting to process the way I wanted was real freedom! Since then I "upgraded" to each new Pentax DSLR, K10D, K20D, and finally the K7 and I had most of Pentax's finest lenses, some of which are/were legendary.

In 2010, I wanted to get the more professional grade lenses and cameras and with a heavy heart I finally bit the bullet sold off all my Pentax gear and purchased a Nikon D700 and, 16-35 f4 VR, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VRII 1.4x TCII, 1.7x TCII and 2x TCIII. Best thing I ever did. Since then I have added 300 f2.8 VRII, 14-24 f2.8, 35mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.4G, 105 f2.8 VR Micro, 500 f4 VR and also the 35mm f1.4 Sigma. I now have a D800E. I am mostly doing bird photography, but love to try my hand at most other diciplines.

Again, thank you for sharing with us your wonderful success story.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow