Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,591Gear list
Like?
Re: Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina
In reply to cptrios, Mar 31, 2013

I have many lenses from different manufacturers - mainly Nikon, Fuji and a few Canon, Contax Zeiss.

The 16-50 is great value for what it is. The power zoom I like as that is very useful for video, its compact and light which most zooms in that category are not and it has stabilisation.

Sharpness is I think acceptable for a general kit lens. I took some landscape panoramas last week with the kit lens and then with a Samyang 24mm F1.4. The Samyang was noticeably sharper but colours were quite warm as well.

Because its an interchangeable lens camera the 16-50 makes a good starting point and you can add some nice cheap manual focus lenses or go the whole hog and get the Zeiss 24mm F1.8.

My Fuji XE1 lenses are in another league but there is a price that goes with that. And there is a Fuji Xmount to Nex adapter as well.

The Fuji 35mm F1.4 and 14mm and 18-55 zoom are in a league at or even above pro Canon/Nikon lenses for much less (I guess because they are for APS). The Fuji 18-55 zoom though costs around $700 or so. The Sony is about half that by itself. So that is a huge factor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow