Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226
Like?
Re: but ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 31, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

rayman 2 wrote:

The Nikon 5200 is a Nikon and has all the quality of a small camera... plus its got

a very very nice swivel display.....

Best is to buy the kit with the 18-105mm lens.... !

Its cheap and quite good for the price....

The flash system of the Nikons is superior to all the other flash systems on the market......

But the D5200 has no commander.

For someone who shoots the big full frame Nikon cams, the obvious downsizing choices are the D7100, which cam make use of off board flash directly, and in the m4/3 arena, the GH3 makes a lot of sense as it looks and acts like a dSLR, also supporting off board. Of course, the OM-D is another obvious alternative, but I suspect it shoots nothing like a Nikon, whereas I know that the Panny bodies do (I own four modern m4/3 Panny bodies.)

I would suggest he buy the GH3 body and a series of excellent lenses like the 45 1.8 and perhaps the 12-35 / 35-100 2.8 combo. That maintains the professional standards he is used to.

Of course, there are many ways to do that, including grabbing the incredible 75 1.8 and the 25 1.4 and so on ...

If he chooses to go Nikon, the obvious choice is the D7100 and his existing suite of lenses. If downsizing the lenses is required too, then the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM is a really obvious choice. That on a D7100 would be Nirvana. Trading down to the new G 1.8 lenses would also shrink the size of the kit and make everything small and light. Pretty sweet ...

-- hide signature --

There is a big difference in weight between the D7100 and the D5200 since the later has a polcarbnate body and the D7100 has a metal structure underneath... I know because I have both 7100 and 5100..... its a big difference... and you can use a commander unit....

The d5200 also is easier for use in low position....

Peter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow