Question on D7100 Auto ISO behavior for flash photography

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,806Gear list
Like?
Re: Question on D7100 Auto ISO behavior for flash photography
In reply to rdellar17, Mar 31, 2013

rdellar17 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed & accurate instructions. 

This does prevent the ISO from being raised...  But like you mentioned in the follow up post it causes the ISO to never be raised so in essence disables auto-ISO.  Also since it is in commander mode you get the double flash that sends signals to other remotes...

You have figured out that this so called "work around" is a bad idea . A much better solution is to set up one of the the Mode dial U1 or U2 for flash photography. I set my U2 up for flash in Manual mode and 400 ISO and f5.6, with the LCD light set to be on. I may be the miniority, but I actually prefer the way Nikon has changed how flash works with Auto ISO because it works better for fill flash outdoors when the subjects face is shaded and also works better for balancing ambient light and flash indoors when their window light. It's nice that Nikon added the U1, U2 custom settings on the mode dial to make these changes easy and fast.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
AutoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow