Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,082Gear list
Like?
Handling overexposure
In reply to Ruth Lipnick, Mar 31, 2013

Ruth Lipnick wrote:

Love the FZ200 right out of the box!

Meanwhile, here's a downy woodpecker of the female variety. I think it's lovely. Except when I blow it up to 100%, it isn't a sharp as I'd like. No PP at all. Will raw and silkypix make a difference? I also have Photoshop and Lightroom. Since I'm lucky enough to have all this at my disposal (for my work), what are the best tools.

Ruth,

It's nice to read that you're enthusiastic about your purchase. I'm certainly fond of mine. One starts to push it's envelope when the light's poor beyond what the bright lens can easily handle.

Your woodpecker is actually pretty sharp. You may have trouble seeing its sharpness because some of the white feathers are real close to being blown out. If you haven't already done it, you can reduce that tendency by setting 1/3 to 2/3 EV negative exposure compensation, particularly when you have some white areas of interest in a scene that's generally somewhat darker than those areas. I can see that you didn't use any negative exposure comp in this particular photo. Many FZ200 users make -1/3 EV part of their default setting, adjusting it up or down if time allows and if the histogram suggests it.

You can also recover some of an overexposed area in post-processing if you start with a raw image instead of JPG. I see you're thinking of trying it out. I use Lightroom, and have never experimented with Silkypix, although some say it's made for the FZ200. Lightroom does a very good job too, and since you already have Lightroom (ver. 4, I hope), you can try it out without acquiring anything new.

Some people think raw imaging is a waste of time and effort; others think it's the best way to go for most of their work. You'll find out for yourself which of those types you are.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow