Best desktop computer for photography work.

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,945
Like?
Macs / OSX for a more polished worflow
In reply to theJuke2, Mar 31, 2013

Worked on both, although I'm  mostly on the Windows side of things.

Hardware is pretty the same, although you pay a premium for Mac gear. Apples users like to say their machines last longer (they don't) while also claiming Mac's use the same hardware as Windows PC's. Those comments smell of a utter contradiction, which they do, and why Apple fans need to be ignored when it comes to objective hardware discussions. iMacs and Mac portables have the same failure rates as PCs in my corporate experience, and the Mac Pro was easily the most over-priced workstation ever sold to the public. You could often get twice the performance on the PC side 6months down the road for 1/4 the price as a Mac Pro, which I don't think are no longer made. No one on the PC side wants to drop $3,000 on a machine that gets spanked by a $700 machine the next product cycle.

OSX however just has a more polished workflow than Windows, and that's because Apple's have been primary graphics and media platforms for a lot longer while Windows continues to be all things to all people. The more advanced the graphics or video workflow the more OSX saves you grief.

For using a couple dedicated image editors it really makes no difference because the applications are basically the same.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow