G12 and underwater housing, or dedicated waterproof ie D20?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
evie00
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
G12 and underwater housing, or dedicated waterproof ie D20?
Mar 31, 2013

I've spent what feels like the entire weekend searching the net for opinions and a solution so have come here to see if anyone else can help enlighten me or otherwise weigh in!

Later in the year I am heading to Antarctica and am looking for something to use in inclement weather (snow/sleet/spray when on small boats) and also with the potential to be stuck on a tripod, set the self timer and dunked underwater while hoping for the best, and trying to get shots of the underside of icebergs or penguins (most likely to get out of focus bits of the boat, I know). My main cameras are a Canon 500d, 650d/T4i and will probably have picked up one of the new mini SLRs by then too. (I have little hands and low tolerances for holding really heavy bulky gear, my 40D has been retired as too cumbersome). Cold tolerance shouldn't be an issue by the way, I'll only be in areas around -5C at the absolute coldest.

I don't want to spend more than about £300, as I can't foresee another situation in the immediate future that's going to need the waterproofing, hence picking up a used G12 rather than the G1x or G15. Additionally if there are any other high IQ compact + housing options then I'd love to hear them.

The expense of a dedicated housing for one of the SLRs is out of the question, and the lack of trust and ability to attach a tripod puts me off the cheaper bag type options for existing gear.

My main criteria really is something where IQ is, if not similar to the rebels, doesn't make me look at the pictures and wince, wishing that I'd taken the shot with them instead. I know that in that regard the G12 is going to be far, far superior to the D20 or another make of underwater camera, (until they come out with a compact tough camera that shoots RAW) but how's the handling of it in housing above the waves when it's just splashy and damp? How easy is it to get the G12 in and out of the housing? Is it something that needs time and a stable surface or can I just do it on the fly while on the water if the weather changes?

I love the idea of having the portability of one of the dedicated pocketable compacts that I could then use in cities or where I don't want something as obvious as an SLR, and also not having to worry about the extra weight and packing of the housing but am vastly put off by everything I've read on IQ.

In terms of futureproofing, I am never ever going to use either option to their full advantage underwater, SCUBA isn't something I have any interest in and even snorkelling doesn't appeal, so depths don't need to be more than however far my arms can reach when standing in waist deep water

Help!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow