richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact DSLR vs. OM-D
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 31, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

SDPharm wrote:

But when equivalent lenses do exist in both systems, such as the 35-100 / 2 on 4/3 vs the 70-200 / 4L IS on 35mm FF, the lenses for the larger sensor systems are  usually lighter <

I'm not sure what world you live in, but here's a real world example of the 'equivalent lens' comparison:

Panasonic 35-100/2.8: 360 g

Canon 70-200/2.8 II: 1490 g

Both are expensive, excellent lenses.  The FF lens is more than 4x the weight.

How many times should the equivalence be explained here that people may finally learn? The equivalent lenses result in the same image on different size sensors. You are again comparing apples and oranges. If you want compare Panasonic 35-100/2.8 to equivalent FF lens then find 70-200mm/5.6. Nobody does such lens, because FF lenses traditionally much faster, but it's not difficult to understand that such lens wouldn't be any heavier than its m4/3 equivalent.

B.t.w. I provided educational links, it makes sense to read them, otherwise people keep rehashing the same misinformation again and again.

Hey, Forpetessake

Couple of questions. Why are you so perturbed by people's lack of understanding (or interest) in equivalence? You do realise it really doesn't matter much in practice.

Given that you are such a proponent of equivalence, DSLRs, optical viewfinders, etc, why are you using a small sensor mirrorless?

I haven't been following the forepetessake saga, but if you care about DOF, then you should be comparing a m43 35-100/2.8 to a FF 70-200/5.6. Similar issues with noise.

There's no good reason to multiply the focal length by two, but leave the f-stop unchanged.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow