A result of negative user feedback for Windows 8?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,204Gear list
Like?
Re: It is the only and fair game to customer
In reply to CameraCarl, Mar 31, 2013

CameraCarl wrote:

Skyglider, you indirectly support my frustration with Windows 8. You say all you have to do is the six different things below once you spend thousands of dollars on a computer to make it work like Windows 7 used to.

• Install the free Classic Shell.
  • Set Classic Shell to boot directly into the desktop.
  • Set Classic Shell to disable active corners. (to stop Win8 popups)
  • Don't run any Win8 apps at all. (since they will pop you back to Win8's UI)
  • Install apps designed for Win7 and below and use them.
  • replace Win8's wireless driver with the Dell wireless driver to get full speed.

Too bad I can't just buy a Windows 7 machine and skip all the hassle.

Hi CameraCarl,

The "free" Classic Shell is a very small app so it's download and install times are very fast.  It defaults to booting directly into the desktop as I recall but the setting can be changed to boot directly into the Win8 UI if desired.  Making the setting to disable active corners will take about 30 seconds since it's easy to find.  Really not much of a hassle at all.

Personally, if I needed a Windows OS for a computer and had a chance to buy Win7 or Win8 for the same price, I would choose Win8 and take the 5 minutes to install the Classic Shell.  Win8 with the Classic Shell works like Win7 but it boots faster, shuts down faster and loads frequently used applications faster than Win7.

My friend's new Dell tower is running Win8 with the Classic Shell, and Firefox and Thunderbird load like lightning after boot up every morning, and she DOESN'T have a SSD.  All of her old software that worked on her WinXP tower and her Win7 laptop loaded and work perfectly in Win8. But she did have to buy a new inkjet printer since her "OLD" inkjet printer only had WinXP drivers and would not work on Win8.  She was actually happy to do that since she needed a scanner and copier anyway so she bought an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax unit.

Every old software that I run on my Win7 tower and Vista laptop runs perfectly on Win8 when I converted Vista to Win8 on the laptop.

BUT I WILL ABANDON MICROSOFT IF Win9 REMOVES THE DESKTOP.  I REFUSE TO USE A COMPUTER WITH ONLY THE Win8 "METRO" USER INTERFACE.  SO FAR THE FRIENDS I'VE TALKED TO FEEL THE SAME WAY.

Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow