NEX-7/7N or RX1 good choice for landscape in difficult areas?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
heptagon
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
NEX-7/7N or RX1 good choice for landscape in difficult areas?
Mar 31, 2013

I'm pretty interested in getting a pocket camera for landscape shots, when I find it heavy to carry heavy DSLR to difficult places, such like mountains or marshes.

After redoing pp on the raw files I took with my previous NEX-7 (which was sold before I started learning photography basics), I'm pretty astonished by the dynamic range of the NEX-7 sensor. With a second look into the dxomark scores I've noticed that the RX1 and NEX-7 are beasts as pocket cameras!

Today I've just noticed that the SEL-1018 lens can take 62mm filters, which makes me exciting! (It's a pain to get a proper 1000x ND filter for the Nikon 14-24mm lens...) For this I cannot resist to wait for the NEX-7N (possibly even better dynamic range) and get one for landscape!

My question would be:

• Does NEX-7 suffer from color shifting prolems with the SEL-1018 lens, as with the SEL16F28 lens?
  • Will NEX-7 (or RX1) be able to get a bright enough preview of the sight with a 1000x (10-stop) ND filter attached? I struggle to get a clear view with my Nikon D4.
  • Are there good choices of remote control for bulb shutter release?
  • What kind of tripod/head/bracket is best for NEX or RX1? I need a light one that can fold well, and can stand steady in the typical seashore wind and get rock-solid pictures of 4-minute exposures on a 24M-pixel sensor (APSC or FF).
 heptagon's gear list:heptagon's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon D4 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow