A result of negative user feedback for Windows 8?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,787
Like?
Please explain how a touch based UI will benefit. . .
In reply to Archer66, Mar 31, 2013

Serious photo editing.  The simple truth is there are THOUSANDS of applications optimised for keyboard and mouse, and a handful of apps designed for touch.  and NONE of them are anywhere close to Photoshop or Lightroom in terms of complexity and power.

True, over time, some software publishers will adapt their software titles if they can.  But the same goes for Mac And Linux.  The titles serving those operating systems are as likely to get better as PC apps are likely to get a touchy/feely UI upgrade.

Another hard truth, we are at the crossroads of a new paradigm for personal computing.  Blindly doing what Microsoft tells you to do is as risky as rejecting their marching orders.  Personally it seems to me that moving to Linux on my existing PC or staying with the mac, is the least expensive option to take.  It allows me to keep the keyboard/mouse UI, as well as remaining optimised for the Google and Firefox "browser as an OS" option.

It seems a reasonable precaution in light of the apparent feud between MS and Google regarding MS Exchange support.  I suspect the feud will get worse before it gets better.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9237909/Microsoft_confirms_it_s_shut_off_Windows_8_Google_Apps_calendar_sync

At this point, none of us is psychic enough to tell us what the future will be.  Since hardware is a major purchase cost for home users, a move to Linux on your existing hardware platform seems a reasonable precaution if your current version of Windows isn't working for you at this time as Linux generally performs better on a given hardware platform than Windows.  It's certainly worth investigating.  After all, the penalty for moving to Linux and then back to windows is VERY small.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow