SSD performance

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,748
Like?
Don't waste your money -- drivers up to date?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Mar 31, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

In fact i did a clean fresh install of Windows 7, i have the DVD original and i did clean install and i didn't install any other programs yet and tested that boot time, it wasn't fast enough, i made some tweaks in the SSd magician or msconfig or whatever, never changed, so means my processor maybe is not fast enough to match my SSD or my motherboard is not enhanced or designed for faster boot even i have fastest SSD, i really don't think there is anything more i can do, i am not good in english and i can't do many changes in my system to make faster boot time, i thought it will be straight forward very fast from beginning fresh clean install, but i expected a lot, so i better go with newer computer that is optimized for faster processing even without SSD.

Look... what happens if you buy a new PC and it doesn't boot any faster?  Then, you'll have wasted a lot of money to replace a relatively fast laptop using a Quad Core Sandy Bridge mobile CPU.    Sure, one of the latest Ivy bridge CPUs may test faster for some tasks.  But, I wouldn't expect to see much difference, and boot times may not be affected at all.

I doubt you problem is CPU speed.  It's more likely drivers waiting for devices to be initialized or something similar occurring during startup.

Now, i would look to see if there are any "fast boot" options in your BIOS.  Sometimes, if you dig through the settings, you'll find one labeled something like that (making bootup faster since it skips through some of the steps like memory tests, looking for new drives, etc.).

But, that may not help much either.

Have you updated all of your drivers?  See if your laptop manufacturer has any driver updates available in the downloads available for your model.   I've seen reports before that just doing something like updating the SATA drivers resulted in a big improvement in boot time.   Try both the Intel and Microsoft drivers and see which is faster in that area.

Ditto for BIOS updates and updates to other components.  New firmware updates from time to time are common.   Most manufacturers have downloads available for updates impacting a given chipset.

So, make sure all of your drivers are up to date for starters (Intel Chipset Drivers, video chipset drivers, usb drivers, etc.).  Again, check the manufacturer's download site for your model (all of the major manufacturers are going to have updates available as they're tested).

If you make sure all of your firmware and drivers are up to date, then another option would be to move to Windows 8; as it's specifically designed for faster startup and shutdown. It uses a type of hiberation process so that those tasks are faster.  Note that it's not the same thing as hibernate (which is a separate feature).   It just works in a similar manner.

Your CPU is already pretty fast. Ditto for your SSD (one of the fastest around, and your tests show it's working as it should).   So, you may not see any improvement in startup and shutdown times by buying a faster PC if it's using the same Operating System.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow