D600 Auto Focus Points - Who Thought That Would Be A Good Idea?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul Schatzkin
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: The D800, a two birds with one stone camera.
In reply to photoreddi, Mar 31, 2013

Well now, this is an interesting post, and potentially mind-changing.

My main objection to the D800 is the size of the files... 36MB just seems like more data than I'm ever really gonna need; it means larger mem cards, and eventually more HDD space on my desktop (that is a minor consideration given the cost of storage these days; I already have a 6TB Thunderbolt drive attached to my iMac but it's filling up fast...).

Cost is the next factor; I've been able to justify sub-$2K cameras in the past (D100, D300, and there was a D80 in there too...), but I have not quite been able to wrap my head around sub-$3K... which is why I never got a D700...

Your points re: the useability of the D800 with both DX and FX lenses warrants some consideration, though at first I thought I would be unloading all my DX lenses.  Maybe not.  Then again I'm also reconsidering unloading the D300s and hanging onto that for DX situations; but, then, as you've suggested, the D800 is a better D300s than the D300s itself.

Thank you for taking the time to type all that out, I'll be thinking about it.

-- hide signature --

PS

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow