Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
tamron macro lenses: 60 vs 90mm handheld shooting
Mar 31, 2013

I have considered both, but can't make up my mind. I could use them with my laea1 adapter.

They bot are 1:1 magnification. I could also use them as a general use lens, if they are fun to shoot with.

The 60 is quite close to the sel50 I own, considering focal length, except that the sel50 is 1.8 with oss and the tamron 60 is 2.0. So except in very low light situations, they don't differ very much for general use.

So I am leaning towards the tamron 2.8 1:1 macro lens. It is a focal length I do not own yet at this speed. When I use my sel18200le at 90mm for example, it is somewhere about F5.6 or even at 6.3 already I'm guessing. So this lens would be an interesting choice for general use too to add to my collection.

But still, I am intending to buy one of these lenses for mainly macro use. Especially the 1:1 magnification get's my interest. The problem is: I don't use a tripod outdoors, so I was wondering, how well would I be able to make macro shots with the 90mm at about F8.0 or perhaps F11 outdoors handheld? Let's suppose that it's a bright sunny day, I have the sun behind me, so having enough light is no problem, is there a way to calculate the exposure time? I'm guessing it would have to be above 1/90 sec at least to be usable. And suppose I put my iso at 200 or 400, would that be doable handheld? Could I just be strolling down a park and see a bug in the grass, just go down and shoot it at 1:1, or does one have to use a tripod to properly do this. So even if the 60 is close to the 50, would it be easier to use that one handheld? Any help or ideas?

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow