Finally...Tamron beats Nikon

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,926Gear list
Like?
Re: VC, glasss, definately sharp at 300mm.
In reply to dwa1, Mar 31, 2013

dwa1 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Wayne, I asked my buddy last night about his copy of the Tamron and he also indicates his has the fairly long delay in turning off VC after he releases the shutter. So I doubt there's anything wrong with yours.

If you're copy is good at 300mm keep it! Mine is quite literally close to my 300mm F4. Very impressed.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for checking into this VC behavior item a bit further.

My copy is very sharp at 300mm - and all the shots were done hand held. Very impressed with the glass and the way that the VC locks on and stabilizes the image. I just need to get used to the noise and slight delay of "letting go" - in this case I believe "the climb is worth the view".

Because of it's ridiculously low price and rebate, this is one of those lenses where an experienced photog really needs to try it to believe it. Sample images on a photog forum are one thing, but the real proof is when you can see your images on your computer with your software tools.

One feature that I really appreciate (compared to the Nikon version) is the 37.4 inch MFD. For me, this makes it a much better lens for butterflies. In the peak butterfly season I often shoot with 2 bodies. The Tammy will be a nice "2nd lens" to compliment my Sigma 150 f2.8 macro. After shooting with the Sigma 150, I seldom wanted to use the Nikon 70-300 VR. I was planning to get the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS - but that was way out of budget for a few years. This Tammy will certainly fill-the-bill until then.

Happy Easter and good shooting.

Wayne

Good for you, Wayne...

I actually found out about the Tamron initially from my buddy who bought it to use along side of his 70-200 VRII. I thought he was a bit kooky. Then he ordered a 70-200 F4 to try as a higher quality alternative to the Tamron 70-300vc and ended up returning the 70-200 F4 because the Tamron did much of what he wanted and bested the more expensive lens in versatility. The F4 has it's own advantages, but they have to apply to YOUR needs to be of value.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
VCNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow