Is professional photography dying out?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Senior MemberPosts: 6,032Gear list
Like?
Re: Is professional photography dying out?
In reply to deleted080512, Mar 31, 2013

Machine Gun Kelly wrote:

alpha90290 wrote:

You need to find your niche.

If you cannot compete with amateurs, it means your photos are not much better than them although you may be using the so call "pro" equipment.

There we go with the "your pictures aren't good enough because you're not getting business" while completely ignoring the fact absolutely nobody wants to look at my website nor see my portfolio. Sure - I have done some photo jobs. Interestingly, none have asked to see my work in advance and everybody has been happy with the results.

When you hire a pro - to fix your car, teach you golf, cut your hair - you have certain expectations and generally want to spend as little as possible. Once images reach a certain level they're salable and meet client expectations.

After that comes style, unique vision etc and that's rather rare. So to most folks 'all pictures look alike' is how they truly feel.

Few people 'rave' about any business. How many people have you told to go to mcdonalds? Or best buy? Or staples? None I bet. How many have you told to go where you bought your car, get your clothes dry cleaned, your grocery store?  Yeah, about as many as have sent their friends to you.

You have to go well above and beyond 'normal' to get customers to rave about you. Well above. well beyond. You have to do something truly memorable.

Connections don't work if your connections are not rich or don't have many rich friends.

Rich people/ big companies are the one with the the money to engage your services. They will not hire those  amateurs who don't have a proper studio and contracts that guarantee quality result.

What you need is to learn the correct marketing skill to market to these companies.

Don't go after the average Joe.

Oh, I know the average Joe doesn't have money. This is why my business cards say "commercial photography" rather than "wedding photography" or some other such thing.

It's also why I now advertise solely through the Chamber of Commerce.

Didn't you say they laughed aloud when you stood up and told them what you did? Unless you're a comedian I'd say you've not found your target market.

-- hide signature --

Vision without execution is hallucination. T. Edison.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow