Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
Re: Lindsay
In reply to rtf, Mar 31, 2013

rtf wrote:

Hi Lindsay. Well I don't know where to start, apart from saying your work is stunning. I obviously checked out your site and the links. You have re-assured me considerably.

I've decided to try the 0M-D.

A few months ago I briefly checked out an OM-D at my local dealer. (I think deep down that I knew the day was coming when I would have to downsize my gear). Ironically I thought it was too small!. Looking into a basic kit to test the water, I think that I would get away with adding the grip without creating any problems so I will do that. With regard to lenses I would like to concentrate on portrait work as much as possible so it's probably the 45mm f1.8 to get a feel for the camera. I like the idea of the Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 but I would definitely have to try one out as it may be too big. I honestly don't know, but I will err in the side of caution until I see and try one. I was really into HSS with my flashguns, especially with radio triggers. As far as I can see there are no radio triggers that will go to 1/4000th sec with the OM-D system? I'd love it if I was wrong, but apart from HSS I cannot see any glaring omissions, so next week I will have a word with my local dealer, and see what we can do. Thank you so much for your immense help and re-assurance.

Kind regards

RTF

You're very welcome, and thank you for the kind words.

You're quite correct, the OMD is vastly smaller than a DSLR and for that reason you will need to go through a period of adjustment. Depending on how long you've been shooting, it may not take long at all to get used to such a small body (and small buttons). When I first started learning photography most cameras were about that size so it didn't feel too unusual to buy the OMD. One of the great things about the OMD is the way that the lenses manage to balance so well on it, even the bigger lenses such as the 100-300 which is a personal favourite of mine for wildlife. For me, balance is just as important as weight, since the wrong balance can cause you to ache even when the equipment doesn't weigh much. I noticed this with the Fuji XE1 and zoom, it just didn't feel right (and a few areas of its performance failed to meet our basic benchmarks) and I would still end up with a bit of neck ache at times.

Good luck with your purchase, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. If you go ahead do please come back and let us know how you feel.

Best wishes

Lindsay

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow