Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Mar 31, 2013

Denis of Whidbey Island wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

Think I'm missing something: Kirk's collar for the 70-200 f4 lens attaches to a tripod head directly like a quick release plate?  Or does it attach to a plate, which then attached to the tripod head?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=926439&Q=&is=REG&A=details

If it attaches to the tripod head, not a plate that attaches to a head, what sorts of heads have you put it on?

You can see that it has a full-length dovetail to fit an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp, but it is also tapped for standard (3/8"?) tripod-mounting thread. If it is 3/8" you can insert a brass adapter to reduce it to 1/4"-20 standard. No separate plate is required.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

THANKS Denis & Island Golfer!

Summing it up: IF I

1. Change my tripod head to one that uses Arca-Swiss compatible plates &
  2. Get the Kirk collar for the Nikon 70-200 f4 lens

I do NOT need an ADDITIONAL A-S compatible plate between the collar and the tripod's ball head.  Another '+' for selecting Nikon 70-200 f4.

Yes I know that the tripod connection shouldn't dictate lens selection, but will carry lots of weight if it's close!

Niels

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow