Why Exposing to the Right (ETTR) is BAD!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,069Gear list
Like?
Where do they teach this? Just shoot raw and be done with it...
In reply to Sovern, Mar 31, 2013

Sovern wrote:

I see a lot of new photographers learning about exposure and then quickly being told that they should use a method of exposure called Exposing to the Right (or rather, ETTL). I went into depth as to why in my opinion, ETTR is bad, and especially bad for new photographers that want to develop a consistent base for their ability to get correct exposure correctly the first time around with worrying about losing highlights.

Me personally, I believe in getting the exposure/shot correct the first time in the camera and exposing properly versus to the right as many benefits as shown in the article presented below.

http://warrenjrphotography.com/blogs/

This is also the beginning of articles that are aimed at enthusiast/beginning photographers that want to learn more and discuss various techniques, philosophies regarding what gear you need, lighting, and so on.

Thanks for viewing all the best.

Not sure I understand why the anguish about this.

Where to they teach to expose to the right?  And why use such old language and not just say, "overexpose"?

And why should it matter at all?  Just shoot raw and be done with it.

To me, possibly ignorant but still taking perhaps 15'000 shots a year, you sound like you're over-anguishing over a non-issue?

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow