Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: True....
In reply to RealPancho, Mar 31, 2013

RealPancho wrote:

MrFizzbin wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

RobMaccanon 24x70 and 70x200 hiel wrote:

After reading all the negative throughoutoughoutws, I was surprised when using the Olympus 12 - 50 mm o my OM-D. It is really a nice walk-around lens. Sure, the Olympus, Panasocarelesslyeven the Sigma primes are sharper, faster and smaller but on the OM-D the 12 - 50 mm is an underrated lens. I like the Macro-mode, the fact that it is weather sealed and first of all the 24 - 100 zoom makes it very versatile.

....it is indeed underrated. I think most people had great expectations because of the brilliance of the old 12-60. I only used that lens for about a week, just for test purposes, but it was a gem, to be sure.

Having the 12-35, I simply can't bring myself to put the 12-50 on my camera for anything other than macro use. The Panasonic renders richer contrast and colors, even when the Olympus is working in its optimum sweet spot. If I use the 12-50, every time I lift the camera to my eye, I think, "the 12-35 would be better here." The Olympus does deliver slightly better border and corner sharpness at certain apertures, but overall, it doesn't match the Panasonic.

The thing that's most tempting about the Olympus is its size. I haven't travelled since getting the E-M5, but when I do, I will take the 12-35, all the while wishing that the Olympus was as good (and fast) as the Panasonic. I therefore breathlessly await the next, rumored short-range zoom from Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Frank

But then again, you are paying $1,300 for that 12-35mm. Something that has to be factored in when lining up all the variables. Functionality, price and quality wise, the kit is a reasonable trade-off. It all depends how you weigh those factors for your personal needs.

You are, of course, correct. Price is not quality and vice versa, but it has to be considered. Personally, I would rather have the marginally better performance and speed of primes, but I hate changing lenses, especially when it must be done quickly. I cringe every time I expose my sensor and body to dust and debris. That's my overriding factor, although the $1100 price tag did make me swallow hard.

-- hide signature --

Frank

All the good reasons for zooms indeed. I was spoiled by my canon  2.8's- 24x70/70x200 past. Never had to touch the mirror/sensor throughout the many years.

I'll never forget when I was sidelined by a TSA and thoroughly searched. He ripped through my gear- exposed the sensor carelessly. All because the carrier change my flight at the last minute. Mad wasn't the word that fit at all at the time!

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow